Wednesday, April 18, 2012

EASTER COLORS TO DYE FOR !!!!!!!

Happy Wednesday my Scrappy Crafty friends!!!
After Easter, many of my super talented friends posted beautiful seam binding and ribbons that they had colored using Easter egg dye kits. Such a smart idea! I decided that it might be fun to try many different types of ribbon, twine, bias tape, rick rack, thin cording, lace, and even some dental floss to see if they all colored the same!






I found these great egg dying kits after Easter at a drug store for only $1.49.  And, they came with their own containers. Great deal!!!! I promptly grabbed the last 4 packages off the shelf, like a crazy women.......and people were looking at me like I was crazy!!!  Probably because they were excited by the cheap chocolate, and couldn't figure out why on earth I would be so excited about coloring eggs-------AFTER EASTER!!!!!



Anyways, I used the 5 colors ~ pink, blue, green, yellow and orange that came with the package.  And then I made a purple and a dye out of teabags.  I threw in as much as each cup would hold and left them to brew for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.  I also bundled some of the ribbons up and wrapped a small elastic around them.



And Voila!!!! This is the end result!!!  I was really amazed at how different the colors looked on the different ribbons etc.  Some went a solid color and some had a nice marbled effect.


 Before............


 ......................and after I took the elastics off!!!!

So now I have more fun stuff to play with.....NOT that I need anymore stuff.....LOL!!!!   But it's just so fun to play!!!
 So the next time you see a roll of of boring white lace or ribbon, I hope this inspires you to do a little experimenting yourself.
~ Cathryn
 

2 comments:

  1. So much fun!!! I really loved the way your colors came out - I rushed out to the stores to get a few more dye sets - Even my kids wanted to dye the ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really fun project. I like that the everything I dyed came out in totally different colors!!!! Can't wait to see pictures of what you and your kids dyed Deborah!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete